The course gives an overall perspective of agile and lean development in a software-developing organization. Agile methods in project organisations constitute only one step towards the realization of an adaptable, quick and efficient product development organization. By adapting lean principles (the origin of agile methods) in the entire product development chain, from product management and requirements engineering to delivery and support, true flexibility and efficiency can be achieved without sub-optimization.
The course consists of five components:
- Introduction to Agile and Lean
- Framework for Agile and Lean
- Evaluation of Agile and Lean
- Implementation of Agile and Lean
- Agile and Lean in large-scale development
Learning Outcomes: The student should after course completion be able to:
- Be able to provide a general account of basic concepts and objectives of Agile and Lean, common Agile and Lean practices and tools, and Agile facilitators and limitations.
- Explain in detail different Agile frameworks, including their differences, similarities, advantages and drawbacks.
- Provide a full explanation of the challenges involved in creating a scalable Agile and Lean solution avoiding sub-optimisation.
- Be able to evaluate in detail the applicability of Agile and Lean in a company thoroughly.
- Apply different Agile frameworks in different situations.
- Apply in detail different Agile methods for evaluating processes, and applying a Lean tool called Value Stream Mapping, that identify and reflect on waste and possible process improvements.
- Critically scale an Agile and Lean solution in terms of size and time.
- Be able to provide a general explanation of the challenges that Agile and Lean respond to, and the challenges of creating a scalable and continuously evaluated process.
- Course title in Swedish: Agile och Lean utveckling av mjukvaruintensiva produkter
- Course code: PA2563 (at BTH), BTH-D5725 (at antagning.se or universityadmissions.se)
- Autumn 2019 instance at Blekinge Institute of Technology
- Apply at antagning.se or universityadmissions.se
- Download the course syllabus as a PDF
- Admission requirements: At least 120 credits in a technical subject and a minimum of 2 years professional experience in software development (shown by, for example, a work certificate from an employer).