The purpose of this course is to learn to initiate and conduct software process improvement using an evidence-based approach. The focus is on agile/lean practices and quality in software development organizations. Those that participate in the course will gain knowledge on the steps for process improvement. This includes the steps involved from identifying areas of potential improvement, proposing new ways of working, and analysing and reporting the results. Participants will also get an understanding of the methods and tools for measuring, evaluating and feedback processes and process improvements.
The course comprises four main themes:
- Introduction to software processes and software quality.
- Software process measurement and assessment (including an introduction to evidence-based.
- Change management, human factors, success factors.
- Practical use/implementation of software process measurement and assessment for process improvement purposes.
Learning outcomes: The student should after course completion be able to:
- Describe and discuss various software processes and software quality.
- Explain and discuss software process measurement and assessment approaches.
- Explain and discuss the importance of following an evidence-based approach during process improvement.
- Apply an evidence-based process improvement approach, and discuss challenges and best practices.
- Critically reflect on own experiences with software processes and software quality.
- Critically analyze reports on process improvements from academia and industry.
Related industrial challenges addressed in the course: A continuous development of processes, methods and tools for software development force the industry to continuously change and adapt their “ways-of-working”.
Such changes and adaptations are often ad-hoc and rarely evaluated systematically, which often leads to suboptimization and/or high costs. The industry therefore needs knowledge and tools to systematically plan, measure and evaluate the results of those changes and adaptations.
Upcoming instances: September 2017, and ’18
- Course title in Swedish: Evidensbaserad processförbättring
- Course code: PA2544 (at BTH), BTH-C5611 (at antagning.se)
- More information about September 2017 instance
- Download the course syllabus as a PDF
- Admission requirements: At least 120 credits in a technical subject and a minimum of 2 years professional experience in software development (shown by, for example, a work certificate from an employer).