The purpose is to equip software engineers with an understanding of challenges of “scale” when testing — in terms of the size and complexity of both the software system and the organization within which the testing activities occur — and experience of specific testing techniques and tools that address them.
The course is organized into 2 modules:
- Testing large-scale software systems
- Testing within large-scale organizations
Module 1 considers scale in terms of the size and complexity of the software system under test, the challenges these characteristics present to testing, and testing techniques that address these challenges. Module 2 considers scale in terms of the size and complexity of the development and testing organization itself – for example, within a large software project, or when testing teams are shared across multiple projects.
Learning outcomes: On completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Explain the challenges of large-scale software testing using both a technical and organizational perspective.
- Describe approaches that address these challenges.
- Apply a technique for testing large-scale software systems and interpret the results.
- Identify and use suitable tools (e.g., containerisation in DevOps, frameworks for risk-based testing) to facilitate these testing techniques.
- Reflect on the relevant important measures of “scale” that are relevant to their own testing work.
- Critically analyze research from academia and industry on large-scale testing.
Related industrial challenges addressed in the course:
- Maintain software quality as the scale and complexity of the software being tested increases
- Enable effective and efficient testing as processes grows in complexity and extend between organisations
Planned instances: September 2019
- Course title in Swedish: Storskalig programvarutestning
- Course code: PA2549 (at BTH), BTH-D5727 (at antagning.se or universityadmissions.se)
- Autumn 2019 instance at Blekinge Institute of Technology
- Apply at antagning.se or universityadmissions.se
- Download the course syllabus as a PDF
- Admission requirements: At least 120 credits in a technical subject and a minimum of 2 years professional experience in software development (shown by, for example, a work certificate from an employer).