The mobile and connected world of today generates a large amount of data that needs to be managed, analysed, and linked. This is often done on the cloud. The development, deployment, and management of this is called Cloud Computing. The purpose of this course is to offer a wide background about designing, developing, deploying, testing, and monitoring a cloud solution, specifically with a focus on big data problems.
The course offers an overview of popular cloud platforms and the design and deployment of cloud applications. The course also discusses solutions for Big Data Analysis.
The course is divided in three themes:
- The business case for cloud computing
- Provisioning and deployment of a cloud computing solution Cloud Infrastructure
- Big data analytics
Learning Outcomes: The student should after course completion be able to:
- In depth be able to describe challenges with Big Data Analysis.
- In depth be able to describe different types of cloud platforms.
- In depth be able to describe different reasons for adopting a cloud solution, and the challenges with these different reasons.
- In depth be able to reason about solutions to the common challenges with the cloud solutions.
- Independently be able to set up a development environment consisting of local machine configurations and cloud based servers.
- Independently be able to implement and configure a big data analysis, including configuring the cloud platform and (if applicable) database.
- Independently be able to set up a continuous monitoring and control of a big data/cloud solution.
- Be able to evaluate different reasons for choosing a cloud solution and select a suitable solution accordingly.
- Be able to evaluate a problem description for a big data analysis and evaluate the potential to create a scalable cloud solution.
Related industrial challenges addressed in the course: The course offers an overview of popular cloud platforms and the design and deployment of cloud applications. Furthermore, the course introduces MapReduce, nosql databases, and tools for large scale data analysis such as Hadoop, and how these can be deployed in a cloud application.
- Course title in Swedish: Tillämpad Cloud Computing och Big Data
- Course code: PA2577 (at BTH), BTH-D5836 (at antagning.se or universityadmissions.se)
- Autumn 2021 instance at Blekinge Institute of Technology
- Admission requirements: At least 90 credits in a technical subject of which at least 30 credits in in one or more of the following areas Programming, Object-oriented Systems, Software Design, Data Structures and Algorithms, Database Technology, Data Communications, Real Time Systems, Operating System
at least 90 credits within technology and a minimum of 2 years professional experience in software development (shown by, for example, a work certificate from an employer).